Saturday, July 16, 2005

Plea for advice from parents

Okay, so Ben was putting out gooey eye boogers all day, and I'd wipe them away with a Kleenex (technically a Puffs brand facial tissue) and go on about my business. It was only after 5:00 (and after the pediatrician has gone home for the day) that I realized: Hmm, this could be a conjunctivitis/pinkeye thing. I checked a couple books, which indicated that yeah, the goo probably means bacterial pinkeye. The supercontagious crap. I tend to touch my face more than I should, so undoubtedly I have inoculated my own eye sockets with Ben's bacteria.

"Are you stupid?" you ask. First, don't say that word. It's not nice. Second, well, he woke up and said he wasn't feeling great, and he sniffled a little, so I had "mild cold" on the mind and happily accepted a profusion of eye goo as part and parcel of that.

So my question is this: How long do I have before my own eye gets itchy, red, and gooful?

6 comments:

Mona Buonanotte said...

Oh, Honey! I feel for you, I really do. If you search on 'pink eye' you'll get a lot of sites with details, but I couldn't find anything right off the bat on how long before YOU get it. Our girl-child had it once, when everyone in her class was getting it, so I'm guessing the incubation period is a few days. If that. Oh, good luck, and kiss that sweet Ben boy for me!

bitchphd said...

"Are you stupid?" you ask. First, don't say that word.

Had to laugh, as "stupid" is currently PK's favorite "bad" word...

I don't know what the incubation time for conjunctivities is, I'm afraid. Take him to the doc and I bet you can get some preventative drops for yourself ;)

Orange said...

Thanks, ladies!

Psycho Kitty said...

If his eye isn't red, though, just goopy, it might just be a cold in his eye. ? I feel as though I sound like an idiot right about now. But really, once I thought the Boy had pinkeye and the doc said it wasn't that, just a cold in his eye, and it went away in a day or so and no one else (including me) got gooey.

Anonymous said...

My 3 year old woke up with it the morning of my brother's wedding...we were all in the wedding and she was the flower girl. I spent the entire day wiping her eyes clean. That was a Saturday & I woke up with it in Monday. Lovely! I hope you haven't gotten it yet. Wash your hands frequently. Good luck! Maybe if you call your doctor they will call in a prescription to your pharmacy in case your eyes start up. Good times...Christy

Orange said...

It's not much of a case of pinkeye—hardly even looked funny, just prone to forming gunk. And even though I've been exposed, I had the whole weekend to develop pinkeye myself, and there's no sign of anything. Can I be so lucky?