Sunday, January 27, 2008

Terrific Parenting, Volume 1: Update!

I took Ben to acting class this morning, and this week, the enlightened dad's wife was there.

I told her how cute her little boy had been playing dress-up with the yellow braids and whatnot. She said, "Yes, I heard about that."

Then I said how great it was that her husband hadn't quashed the boy's fun with oppressive gender norms. (Okay, I'm paraphrasing.)

She said, "He wasn't always like that!" Apparently she's put in years of effort, training him not to tell his sweet little boys to man up. Hah!

3 comments:

Narya said...

Props to you for engaging, and props to her for (a) making the effort and (b) choosing someone with whom those efforts would be successful.

Ken Stern said...

Interesting - from what you wrote, it sounded to me like the mom was not on board with the dad's attitude and she meant "[my son] [didn't always like playing dress up] like that." Hopefully I was wrong and narya is right...

Orange said...

Ken, the mom was glad to hear her feminist attitudes had finally sunk in.