Wednesday, August 20, 2008

I did it!

Yet another "praising myself for an insignificant 'accomplishment'" post—the bedsheets are in the laundry. (Recently, DoctorMama misunderstood my "I finished another book" brag as being about writing a book rather than reading one like the rest of you do all the time.) Why, it's been scarcely a month since they went on the bed! Ben did relocate himself to his parents' room and drool on the bed the other day, which contributes to my motivation to change the sheets....as do the Fiery Eyeballs of Judgment I was feeling from those of you who cannot abide leaving the same sheets on for more than two weeks.

Speaking of Ben: Wow, 8-year-old kids are so awesome! He's cracking me up every day with the things that issue from his rambunctious mind. This afternoon, he asked me what month comes after this one. September, I confirmed. "What's the date?" It's August 19. "Man! It's almost school!" he exclaimed with an acute sense of outrage. Yeah, it's that time of year.

You ever sit there mocking something because it's for old people and then discover that you are the target audience? I made fun of the merchandise in the FootSmart catalog right up until the moment I noticed that I could use those socks...and those shoes look comfy...and maybe they've got the right arch supports for me. Am I old, or am I a young and vibrant woman cursed with crotchety feet? I just ordered a night splint for plantar fasciitis because the daytime stretching doesn't do enough. My orthopedist said the night splint didn't do anything for him, but I figured it was worth a shot. Because I am old.

I had a birthday last week. Mr. Tangerine ponied up a box of assorted Godiva chocolates and a box of Godiva "biscuits." That's some good shit.

I've had a low-grade headache for a week and a half. I just diagnosed it this morning as a result of Olympics-related sleep deprivation. I've been up 'til 12:30 or later all but one of the nights since the Summer Games began, but I'm not sleeping late in the mornings. It's either that or a brain tumor, and I choose to believe I will be cured within 48 hours of the closing ceremonies.

By the way, if you were hooked on Scrabulous at Facebook and you've been in mourning ever since it got the boot, I bring good tidings: Scrabulous.com. I've been playing via the e-mail option—you play Scrabulous the same way as before, but you get an e-mail notifying you when it's your turn. Which means you don't have to go to your Facebook page and click on the Scrabulous link to find out if it's your turn—it's e-mail! So easy! And you can play with your non-Facebook friends. Or your non-Facebook self. Tertia, Julie, PK, and Krupskaya are among my Facebook friends, but I'm sure a lot of you are all, like, "Eww, Facebook, that's for kids." You probably think texting is for teens too, don't you?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used a Straussburg (sp?) Sock for about 6 months to completely heal my plantar fascitis. In fact, I just mailed it to my sister about 2 weeks ago, so she can use it. I ordered it online. It was not cheap, but worth it. The thing I bought from the drugstore was useless.

You bet your sweet ahdbipsy (my word verification).

Mona Buonanotte said...

Happy Belated Birthday! I hope Mr. Tangerine gave you a massage, too...!

K said...

grats on the sheets! or should I say I'm sending condolences that you caved to us anal retentives??
On the plantar issue that you did not make issue of: I also suffer from plantar fasciatis (can't spell it) from time to time. My podiatrist, when I went to one, told me:you'll always wear these expensive orthotics (that he casted with me lying down) and you'll always need anti inflammatories. Well, 3 months into massage school I got rid of 90% of my foot pain by massaging (which stretches the scar tissues and makes it useful, getting blood in) and icing/soaking in cool water after a long day.
Better than night splints. Suggest Mr. Tangerine helps with the massaging part!

E. said...

Happy birthday.

I am a young and vibrant 40, but I recall seeing a footsmart catalogue and getting all "Oooh! Aaah!" But I'm obsessed with comfortable shoes. I won't pay more than $20 for an item of clothing, but I'll drop $100 or more on a pair of shoes in a heartbeat if I think I can walk two miles in them without my feet hurting.