Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there.
• To the moms with healthy kids who were once in the NICU.
• To the people who have troubled relationships with their own mothers, or who have lost their mothers.
• To the women who'd love to have children, but are single or in a lesbian relationship, because it's so much harder for them to become mothers.
• To the women who are struggling with infertility, or who have given up on the dream of bearing a biological child.
• To the women who have lost children or suffered pregnancy losses.
• To the singled and divorced moms, who shoulder a larger burden.
• To the mothers raising kids with special needs.
• To all the moms who don't fit in any of these categories, but have still found mothering to be the hardest job they've ever had.
I'm writing this post in bed, where I just ate a Mother's Day breakfast (a mozzarella omelet and buttered toast) that Ben helped prepare—although my sweet little bunny wanted to cuddle rather than help Daddy in the kitchen. Happy stomach, happy heart—happy mother.