Thursday, January 31, 2008

Political pout

In years past, Illinois's primary took place in March, by which point the presumptive nominee had usually sealed the deal, so the presidential candidates largely ignored the state and there was no compelling reason to vote for any of them.

This year, Illinois is part of the new Super Tuesday on February 5, so I figured that we'd finally become a campaign hotspot. And? No. No, not this year, either.

The mailbox is filled with glossy self-mailers touting assorted candidates for the judiciary, the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District (sewers!), and state and county offices. During the local news, each commercial break bombards us with political ads. A few phone calls have come in for judges.

But the presidential candidates have been largely absent. Not a one of them is wooing me. Darn it, I wanted to be wooed! I wanted my turn in the Iowa sun! Alas, it was not to be. Clinton and the others (now down to Mike Gravel) may be ceding the state to Obama, but I don't think McCain, Romney, Huckabee, et al., have bothered with Illinois, either. Pooh.

5 comments:

thrice said...

Yeah, well, no one cares about my NY vote either. I fail to understand why New Hampshire, Iowa and the media get to decide the presidential candidates.

At this point, I'm hoping I can say go Bloomberg! in November.

Anonymous said...

I know! I'm a teeny hop over into Wisconsin, and our primary is coming up soon too, but the only campaign material I see is for Ron Paul. I love Ron Paul for many other reasons, but I am a little surprised we are being so ignored; we were a swing state in the last election, darn it! :)n

The Absent Minded Housewife said...

Funny, I live out in the middle of nowhere NV and my vote was cuddled and courted. My phone rang off the hook and there was a never ending opportunity to tell Huckabee that he's a twat.

Tell the judges they are twats...heh.

Feral Mom said...

This may be the only time I hear you say "I want my turn in the Iowa sun!"

So I'm going to savor it.

Mo said...

Here in Oregon, the candidates are already chosen by the time it gets to us, so we just get to bitch and moan and blame all our national problems on the rest of the country. I don't know if you do these kind of things, but I tagged you over on my blog to tell us 6 Useless Facts About Yourself.